The tradition of Easter Week in Ejea de los Caballeros recovered in the sixties of the twentieth century, just at the time when various brotherhoods were founded and that still exist today.
These brotherhoods were founded or renovated from 1963, by which time there was only the Holy Eucharist, although traditionally groups of families and friends take out the steps in the processions of each year.
Holy Week begins with a proclamation in which all fraternities participate the day before Passion Sunday, thus initiating Easter Week in Ejea.
Actually, the brotherhoods participating in our town representing the mysteries of the Passion of Christ are:
- Brotherhood “La Entrada de Jesús en Jerusalén” or Brotherhood “del Salvador”. Palm Sunday takes place the blessing of the palms and bouquets of Our Lady of Olives, then, the procession organized by the Brotherhood of the Entry of Jesus into Jerusalem.
- Brotherhood “Nuestro Señor en la Oración en el Huerto”. In the evening of Palm Sunday all religious activity develop to the Church of Santa Maria de la Corona, where leave the procession of the Brotherhood of “Nuestro Señor en la Oración en el Huerto”.
- Brotherhood “Jesús atado en la Columna”. The Holy Monday evening, after the celebration of the Eucharist, the procession of “Jesús atado en la Columna” leaves from the Church of “Nuestra Señora la Virgen de la Oliva”.
- Brotherhood of “Jesús Nazareno y Nuestra Señora de los Dolores”. The evening of Holy Tuesday develops the procession “Meeting of Christ way to Calvary with the Virgin”. The brotherhoods of Jesus of Nazareth and Our Lady of Sorrows leave of Church of “El Salvador”, each brotherhood walks down a different street to celebrate the act of meeting in front of the City Hall.
- Brotherhood of the “Descendimiento de la Cruz”. From the Church of Nuestra Señora la Virgen de la Oliva, at the evening of Holy Wednesday, come the Brotherhood of “Descendimiento de la Cruz”.
- Brotherhood of the “Institución de la Sagrada Eucaristía”. In the evening of Holy Thursday starts the procession of the “Santa Cena”, after the Holy Hour is celebrated at the Church of “Nuestra Señora la Virgen de la Oliva”.
- Brotherhood “Cristo del Silencio”. The Holy noon Friday, from the Church of “Nuestra Señora la Virgen de la Oliva”, leaves in procession brotherhood of “Cristo del Silencio”, to preach the Seven Words during the procession ends at the Church of “El Salvador”.
- Brotherhood of the “Santa Cama”. The Holy Friday in the evening leaves the procession “Brotherhood of the Santa Cama” accompanied by other brotherhoods of the town.
- Brotherhood of “la Soledad”. In Holy Saturday, the loneliness of the Virgin at her dead son is evident and the town commemorates this event with the procession of the “Brotherhood la Soledad”.
- Procession of “Paso de Cristo Resucitado”. Since 2013, in Easter Sunday leaves the brotherhood of “Paso de Cristo Resucitado”, this procession is formed by all the brotherhoods of the town. Each member of the brotherhood leaves with his own habit of brother and walks joined Resurrected Christ with his drum, bass drum, bugle or with a carnation in his hand celebrating Christ is resurrected.
The activities of Holy Week begin in Ejea the Saturday before Passion Sunday with “Drums and Bass Drums Competition Villa de Ejea”, whose first edition was in 1992.
Another of the events of Holy Week is the “Rompida de la Hora” on Holy Thursday. The brothers of different brotherhoods gather in the Spain Place of the town and plays in unison a touch commemorating the death of Christ, referring to rumble was heard on Earth after the death of Christ.